Thursday, April 3, 2014

Shrimp & Avocado Salad

As my diet bet kicks off, I needed to find some low-carb, high-protein yummy meals! Introducing my take on "zesty lime shrimp and avocado salad" found on skinnytaste.com here! I was going to follow her recipe exactly, but sadly forgot my grocery list at work, thus forgetting the lime and jalapeƱo. My version turned out way yummy, so I'm really not that disappointed. Even though I'm sure her version is better, I mean she is skinnytaste.com! ;)


What you need:
Makes about 3 cups.
  • 1 lb. peeled, deveined & chopped shrimp
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • cilantro to taste
  • lemon juice to taste
  • olive oil to taste
  • salt & pepper

What you do: 


In a small bowl, combine chopped red onion, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt & pepper. Allow this mixture to sit for a few minutes to allow the onion flavor to settle down. 



In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, tomato, and avocado. Toss lightly and add cilantro. If you're avocado is super ripe like mine, you'll get a creamier mixture, rather than a cubed look.




I plan on enjoying this high-protein, low-carb salad on a bed of romaine lettuce! Here's to eating healthy, losing weight, and Gina at Skinny Taste for being my inspiration for dinner!

What's your favorite "diet-inspired" meal? I'd love to hear it in the comments below!

I'm linked up with Kate and Emily for their weekly recipe swap!


4 comments:

  1. YUM. In my world, avocado makes EVERYTHING BETTER! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmigosh, Elise. This was perfect over a bed of lettuce! I'm making more this weekend!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh. I love avocados! This may be on my Sunday meal prep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've eaten it 3 times this week so far! Side note that might help preserve the appearance, if you're a large batch for meal prep, don't add the avocado until you're ready to eat it. Mine turned ugly brown super fast! Still tasted great, just looked gross-O!

      Delete