Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Day We Got Engaged

Five years ago today I said "yes" to one very important, life-changing question.  And in the spirit of #throwbackthursday, I'll share our little engagement story with you today.

For my Grandparent's 20th wedding anniversary, my Grandma asked my Grandpa to take our family to Hawaii. I remember the night before we left like it was yesterday.  Ethan and I both spent the night at Grandma's house so we could ride with them to the airport. I remember sitting in the living room on the couch, Ethan setting his alarm for super early, and us talking about how exciting of a trip it would be. Little did I know just how exciting and memorable of a trip it would be.

Our flight took off around 6 a.m., and we headed from Pensacola to Atlanta, then Atlanta to Honolulu! The flight there took nearly 10 hours, but since we crossed so many timelines, we arrived in Honolulu around 3 p.m. Talk about some serious jet lag.

{Boarding our 1st Flight}

The first thing we did after unloading our bags at the hotel was walk around downtown Honolulu.  If you ever get the chance to go, take it!  It's an amazing city full of fun things to do and you can't beat the sunsets.

{Waikiki Beach}

{Waikiki Beach}

{Downtown Honolulu}

We walked around downtown for a couple hours then all headed back to the hotel to grab a bite to eat.  At first, we all were going to eat at the buffet located in the hotel, but after looking at the menu and seeing that the buffet was over $20 a person, me and Ethan decided to do dinner on our own.  We ended up on the rooftop pool and restaurant area of our hotel.  The view was amazing and you could see the beach from where we sat.  The weather was perfect, warm and breezy, and there was a live performer singing Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours."  I remember thinking, "Oh my gosh. Wouldn't it be cool if he proposed right here?!"  It was all just so perfectly romantic.  Of course I didn't say anything and we finished dinner with no mention of anything "futuristic."  Looking back, I can't believe I didn't think it was odd when Ethan left me at dinner to "go to the bathroom" and be gone for what felt like 20 or more minutes. And folks, this was the days before everyone and their brother had smart phones to play with at the table.  I later found out that he had ran back down to the restaurant my parents were at, got our room key, ran to the room, got the ring {!!}, returned the key, and made it back to me.  His story? "I couldn't find the bathroom."

{Our Hotel}

After dinner, Ethan asked if I wanted to go walk down to the beach to watch the sunset.  He had heard there were going to be fireworks and said we should go now to get a good view. {Side note: I remember walking to the elevators and we passed the bathroom. I made fun of him for not being able to find it when it was literally 20 feet away from our table.  He just shrugged it off.} We walked across the street and found what I thought was a good seat for the sunset and fireworks show.  It was crowded, but we were definitely not within 10 feet of another person.  Ethan asked if I wanted to go walk down the beach and find a better spot that wasn't so crowded. {Hindsight again, Katie, here's your sign.} At first I said no. We had a good spot and it was getting close to sunset.  I think by the 3rd or 4th time that he asked me, I finally agreed. And honestly, I only agreed so he would shut up. Romantic, I know.

{After finding "the perfect" spot}

I remember the walk down the beach. He kept asking me weird questions like "where do you see us in five years?" and other things like that.  I don't really remember what I told him, but I know he remembers me changing the subject a million times.  He just kept going back to "us" and I kept moving on to gosh-knows-what.  Finally we found Ethan's "perfect spot," which was about a mile down the beach. Ok, maybe more like a quarter mile, but we did walk forever.  We sat down and he started on "us" again.  Except this time, he asked me if I would marry him!  I honestly don't rememeber excactly what he said or what I said in reply. Although, I believe it was along the lines of "are you serious?"

{05.29.2009 Our Sunset}

After nearly four years of dating, we were engaged. We sat there together, just the two of us in our own little world. We watched the sun finally set on our super long day and then watched an amazing fireworks show.  I couldn't think of a better way to start our amazing vacation!

{Engaged! Bloodshot, sleepy eyes and all!}

{He swears he didn't cry.. those eyes tell another story ;) }

After the fireworks show I couldn't wait to get back to my family and share the news! Of course they already knew, but it's a way more exciting story when there's a ring on your finger!  I remember calling my best friend Taylor back home. This was about the 4th or 5th time I had called her that day and each time I called she thought I had more exciting news to share with her than just "we just got to the islands" and "go online and look up this live-feed camera thing and you can see me!"  It was past midnight when I called her, but I had to ask if she'd be my Maid of Honor!  Of course she said yes and then told me to not call her anymore today. Haha!

{I said "yes"}

The next morning we boarded the ship to start the cruise portion of our trip.  It all still felt like a dream. I was in Hawaii with my Fiance! I've known since the day I met him that I would marry him and finally those days were here!

{Of course, it's not official until it's Facebook Official}

Ethan, five years ago today, I said yes to becoming your wife. I remember some parts of that day like it was yesterday and others, well, you know how good my memory is, but the one thing I do know for sure is that I'd say yes a million times more. I love you. Thanks for picking me. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Such a great story!!!!! And OMG what a perfect place to do it!!! I am like you, I was completely oblivious until he was literally down on one knee!! Happy 5 year engagement-versary! :)

    Brianna
    http://keepingupwiththekeens2428.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brianna! I'll have our wedding up tomorrow in honor of our 4th anniversary!

      Delete