Friday, October 16, 2015

So.. It's been awhile.

I'm not even sure how this thing works anymore. For the past 12 weeks I haven't really touched a computer. I've literally only used the computer to schedule bills. And even with that I figured out how to do it all just using my cellphone. Looking back, maternity leave really wasn't at all what I expected it to be.
 
Expectation: Finish seasons of my favorite shows on Netflix, blog every moment of Charlotte's life, lose the baby weight, have lunch with friends, take baby on "first" outings like to the park, beach, etc., have dinner on the table by 6, finally catch up on laundry, basically be a rock star stay-at-home mom - all while taking care of a newborn.
 
Reality: Not any of my "expectations" minus taking care of newborn.
 
Don't get me wrong. Maternity leave was the best. Especially after Char came home from the NICU. Of course it was filled with worry. Lots and lots of worry given her circumstances, but we managed and survived. We learned how to "treat her like a normal baby," as her neonatologist told us. And, praise God, she is acting like a completely normal baby. She has made leaps and bounds and exceeded all expectations given to her. God has healed her and I will forever sing His praises for His mercies. She is our miracle child.
 
When I first went out on maternity leave I thought, "Man, I have a blogging goldmine right now. I'm about to have my first child. Hello, baby posts! AND we're building a house. I could update house progress! So. Many. Posts." Well, that all went down the crapper when I fell off the face of the blogging earth. And looking back, I'm upset I did. Not for the followers, not for anything except for me. There's moments I know I don't remember as clearly like her birth story. This blog has always served as a memory book for me. A way for me to remember the little things in life. But now, Charlotte is almost three months old and I've been terrible about writing things down.  Like her first smile. I never wrote down the date. Because when it happened I thought, "how could I ever forget the day she first smiled. This is so monumental. I'll never forget." Ha. So much I've already forgotten unintentionally.
 
I say all this to say - I'll be posting regularly again. Probably more than normal because {1} I want to backtrack and post all the things I wrote on my Instagram while Charlotte was in the NICU to present day and {2} I want to remember the now. It'll probably take me awhile to catch up with present day. And there might be posts that are past happenings mixed with current events. I'm not really sure how it'll work, but for my memories sake I need to do this.
 
So here's to coming back to The Macarthurs Lately as a family of 3. It's been awhile and we've got a lot of catching up with do with all of what's been happening "lately."
 
Image Map

13 comments:

  1. Glad you're back here! I'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy your back I have missed reading your posts but glad I could catch up via instagram! So happy that Charlotte is better and you can enjoy your time as a family of 3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO glad you're back!!! I've been popping in on Instagram and Charlotte is absolutely adorable!!!! Such a doll! Have a wonderful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogging is such a great way to document everything and preserve memories! Glad to hear you're back and that Charlotte is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read about what we've seen on IG and whatnot :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you are back! It's ok you didn't write everything down girl, it's more important to experience it and live it - especially after what you went through!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally remember having so many expectations for my maternity leave and every time I would be shocked at how little I actually accomplished in those 10-12 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you're back. I've missed you around here. Your IG has definitely helped though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, I've missed reading your posts but have been following along on Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back, look forward to your story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back! Looking forward to reading more about sweet baby Charlotte! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to see you back! Can't wait to follow along with house and baby updates!! Definitely hope you're planning to post your birth story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy you are back. I have followed your journey on instagram and prayed for your sweet family. I can't wait to hear the birth story and all the updates. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete